Thursday, October 25, 2018

Environmental Factors

As a student, some environmental factors that impact my learning are noise, variable seating conditions, and choice. When I'm working independently, I really like having music playing. I work in the library, often with many different individuals meandering around doing their own thing. I find music brings a friendly tone or a calming tone to the large space. I can't listen to music with words when I'm trying to write or collect my thoughts, so I often listen to instrumental music. Students who tap or repeated squeaking sounds, which are frequent in the library with all of the carts on wheels, make me crazy!

I like to stand when I work, sitting makes me fidgety and uncomfortable. I also like to have a fair amount of personal space, so sitting too close to others to being jammed in a tight space makes me less comfortable. I work all day standing up and it's a big focus I make in the furniture we purchase for the library: there are places to lay, lounge, sit, stand, and kneel in our library. This is to allow all types of movement that is good for thinking and brain development as a person works. Additionally, I very much prefer working in a room with natural light over artificial light. Every August, when I'm back in the building after being outside all summer moving my body all day, I immediately notice how bad my body feels when I sit all day, and when I'm in artificial light instead of natural light. Working at computer all days exacerbates these feelings I think, especially after a summer of not working at a computer.

Choice is key to me as a learner. If I have to do an assignment that has many barriers and seems convoluted, it is very irritating to me. I like to have an authentic purpose, I like to connect my learning to other things in my life, and I like to choose how I can share my learning with others. Additionally, when someone else is lecturing or I'm in a big meeting, I prefer to doodle and take notes rather than sit idly.

As a teacher, I'm acutely aware to noise- I've already mentioned repetitive clicking and tapping. I'm also irritated by fidgeting more than I wish I was: I know fidgeting is an important option for many learners, including myself, but as a teacher trying to facilitate, it totally gets to me. This is something I have to bite my tongue on when I'm teaching so I don't stop the movement in the classroom I know is so important for my students.

3 comments:

  1. Liz,

    Thanks for sharing your thinking with us! I'm sure many can relate to your post. I noticed the following comment: "Choice is key to me as a learner.". Choice enhance opportunities and buy-in.

    Dr. Brown

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth,
    Great thoughts in your post. You stated you know you learn better when you are moving, but it tends to bother you as a teacher, I completely understand this! You also said you like to stand when you work. Do you allow your students to do this? I feel when it comes to moving and fidgeting, it always has to be a conversation had with each student. If a student needs to stand during notes or lecture, I allow them to, but only if they are still working and not being a distraction to those around them. I feel the same with fidget toys. I am a middle school teacher and fidget toys are used a lot of the times as toys, and not what they are meant to do. Many times, when a student has a fidget, I ask them if they know what it is for and 9 out of 10 times, they do not even know what they are using the fidget toy for and it is just a toy to them. I think as teachers we forget that we need to teach students how to 'fidget' properly and show them how to fidget and work at the same time.
    Cheers,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reflecting on our own learning styles is a great way to help students, but it is a step we often miss. At my kids' high school all of the teachers have to spend one day this semester following a student schedule in attempt to transform the student experience. I thought it was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

Safe and Secure Environment

Building administrators bare a large amount of responsibility to keep the school campus safe and secure during the school day. This has neve...